In the landscape industry, safety is a paramount concern. Protection for landscape technicians is critical. Pugh’s Earthworks employs a safety engineer who is up to date on all industry safety practices. The safety engineer holds periodic training sessions so that every employee understands the importance of work safety and the best ways to ensure good safety precautions are always upheld.
Some of the guidelines followed are listed below.
- Report unsafe working conditions or equipment to your supervisor.
- Identify and destroy harmful or noxious plants such as poison ivy.
- Protect against insects with insect repellents or protective clothing when needed.
- Use caution in areas where you may encounter wild animals or unfriendly domestic ones.
- Rest periodically during strenuous jobs such as digging or sawing: work-rest schedules vary according to temperature conditions, how strenuous the work is, and how acclimatized (“used to”) the worker is to the workload.
- Make sure emergency telephone numbers are clearly posted or readily available.
- Know the location of the first aid kit and how to use the contents.
- Do not touch stray or dead animals. Contact an animal control agency for removal.
- Wear respiratory protection if you must clean up waste, leaves or dust that may contain mouse droppings. Mice can carry the hantavirus which can become airborne with dust and may be inhaled by workers.
- Be aware of expected weather conditions for the day, and plan accordingly. Have plans about where to go if severe weather hits. Know where to seek shelter in a thunderstorm (fully enclosed metal vehicles, with windows up or a building (not sheds).
- Learn proper hand washing techniques. Wash your hands thoroughly after before eating, using the washroom, or changing tasks (using different tools and/or different locations).
Personal Protective Equipment Tips:
- Wear high-cut CSA certified safety footwear with toe caps and reinforced, non-skid soles.
- Use approved (e.g. CSA Z94.1) head protection when working under branches or where there may be falling objects.
- Use appropriate eye protection (safety glasses or goggles) whenever dust or debris may get into your eyes (eg. when power tilling, breaking up rocks or concrete) or when using strong cleaning agents, spraying or dusting.
- Wear sturdy, well-fitting gloves with grip.
- Use vibration-absorbing gloves while operating vibrating equipment.
- Wear suitable chemical-resistant rubber or plastic gloves when handling fertilizers and pesticides and other chemicals.
- Wear hearing protection devices (e.g., ear muffs, ear plugs) that provide appropriate protection from noise produced by equipment being used.
- Protect yourself from the sun – use sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher and re-apply sunscreen as required throughout the day. Consider wearing lightweight long pants (v.s. shorts) and long-sleeved shirts.
- Wear a brimmed hat and comfortable clothing that provides sun protection.
- Wear sunglasses that filter out at least 90% of the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- Take regular rest breaks inside. Frequent short pauses are better than longer breaks further apart.
- Do not wear loose-fitting or torn clothing.
Pugh’s Earthworks Employee Safety Seminar
Pugh’s Earthworks was originally started by Mark Pugh. Our firm has been in business since 1992. Over the past 25 years, we have grown rapidly. In all that time and throughout all that growth, we have remained true to our motto, Big Company Strength, Small Company Values! Regardless of the size of the client we are working for, our staff will deliver the best possible service, while treating each client with the utmost of respect. In a word, “We Love Our Customers” and “We Appreciate The Opportunity To Serve.”
We are now one of the Mid South’ s leading commercial landscape installation and maintenance companies. Pugh’s Earthworks provides the highest quality landscaping services available. We are Memphis landscape maintenance experts. Our team is committed to acting with the utmost of integrity with our business operations and for clients and the communities we serve. Every job we do is backed by our 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.
Pugh’s Earthworks offers an excellent quality assurance program. We are licensed and insured and stand behind all of the work that we perform with our quality assurance guarantee.
- Quality is everyone’s responsibility.
- Quality is conformance to the customer’s requirements.
- We believe every job can be improved.
- Every idea is treated with the utmost respect.
- We realize that improvement must be an on-the-job process.
It is the goal of Pugh’s Earthworks to provide our customers, both internal and external, with services, which meet or exceed their expectations.
We recognize that one of the most important assets we possess, enabling us to achieve this goal, is our professional staff. We strongly encourage all of our people to take the pride of ownership in all the work they do.
To this end we commit ourselves to strive in all we do for total customer satisfaction.
TOTAL CUSTOMER SATISFACTION
Management guarantees that ongoing support of these goals is our highest priority. We must never lose sight that customer satisfaction is a direct measure of our performance.
Working together as a team, making use of all our talents and expertise, we will accomplish our objective.