As the temperatures continue to soar, it’s important to have a regular summer watering schedule for your lawn to ensure it can thrive and grow throughout the year. Here are some tips on how to water your lawn during the summer season:
- You don’t need to water your lawn every day in the summer despite thinking it will help in the hot weather. What happens is that the lawn gets over-watered and starts to die.
- Get to know the soil properties of the area you live in. This tells you a lot about how to water your lawn in the summer and throughout the year. This is because water tends to penetrate soils differently. For example, it is more likely to penetrate sandy or loose soil than clay-based soil. The water should penetrate six to eight inches below the ground surface.
- Check your overall irrigation system for your lawn to identify any places where water is not regularly reaching that portion of your lawn. Any dry spots will tell you where you need to make changes to your irrigation.
- Think about what type of grass you have in your lawn as this will also tell you more about how to water it. For example, Tall Fescue has a deep root system. This means it has the highest drought tolerance of all cool-season turf types. Then, Kentucky Bluegrass goes dormant during a drought. Warm-season grasses, which include Zoysia, St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Centipede, tend to thrive in warm conditions. They have a deep root system and require approximately 20% less water than cool-season lawn grasses.
- The age of your lawn is also an important consideration for determining irrigation frequency. While all lawns need consistent moisture, you need to proceed with caution on newly-planted lawns. Don’t rely on rainfall. Instead, you’ll need to provide supplemental irrigation during the first year of growth to ensure it develops that deep root system.
- Focus your watering times on early morning or late afternoon/evening when the sun is not scorching the grass or adding to the water evaporation.
As a commercial landscape and maintenance company that is focused on helping local businesses enjoy healthy, beautiful outdoor spaces, we are here to help with your lawn care needs. Contact us today and we’ll keep your lawn looking lush and green throughout all seasons.